Fresno Fest was an absolute blast. Jeremy did a fantastic job putting it together and managing an event that took place in two different venues. I somehow managed to break my pinky nail almost right away, so now it's got blood underneath it and it's kind of messed up, but it's all good. I was already sore from working at the food bank on Friday, but now I'm even more sore. It's kind of good, though, to feel like I've been doing something.
I think that since I'll have time over the break, I'll do a sort of step-by-step picture blog of my screen-printing process. I know my prints aren't amazing, but maybe when people see what I'm working with, they'll understand why heh. At the very least, I should get some real mesh and stop working with curtains, but I have to do some shopping and find good prices first. I'll get better in time, especially once I can invest in some better materials.
On that note (sort of), I'm extremely proud of Fresno's DIY scene, especially because of the number of girls who participate in it. Since I started going to CYC, I've seen more girls involved in shows than I ever have before, and more and more of us are trying to start businesses or play in bands, which is great. The scene has always been dominated by males, and although I don't have a problem with that, necessarily, I think it's important that more women get involved and try to make it on their own. I just wish Madera had something like Fresno does. We have no venues, few bands, and few kids who can get leave a party long enough to realize that there's more to life than meat, drugs, and whatever religion their parents have forced them into. The world is an amazing place full of different ideas, and few of them have ever tried to explore it.
Now to plan a trip to Oakland on New Years Day...
SXR
No comments:
Post a Comment