So, while some people were at Coachella, getting drunk in the ridiculously hot sun, I was doing cooler, more productive things here in the 559. Friday night, I stopped by C.A.F.E. Infoshop for the Microcosm Publishing Post Punk Extravaganza Tour, which was a good time. Good people, good vegan food, a cool documentary, an interesting exhibit, and lots of radical zines and books. Everyone who didn't go missed out. On Saturday, Kelly and I helped our friend Tiffany with her CVAQ event, during which I got a crazy sunburn on my wrists, the back of my neck, and the backs of my calves. Not fun. After that, we stopped by Vintage Days at Fresno State, then made our way to the Tower District, where we ate at Loving Hut, which is basically still Au Lac hah. I'm getting good at navigating around Downtown Fresno and the Tower District, by the way. After lunch/dinner/whatever, we went to the Vulgar/Velisha/Destruct show. Kelly interviewed me and Chris for her English project and we had some fun discussions, as usual. CYC and people like Kelly, Chris, and the infamous Batlord are the reason I'm not killing myself over the fact that I'm not moving to the Bay Area this summer, truly.
The documentary we saw ("If It Ain't Cheap, It Ain't Punk") definitely inspired me to pick back up on a few projects I'd been working on and planning, including a documentary I've been talking about doing for months now. Since I'm stuck in the Central Valley for at least two more years, I figured why not start up on it now? I'm in the process of planning it all out and trying to get the logistics down right now, but I hope to start doing some really bad filming within the next couple of months. The shittier, the better, right? DIY for life.
Speaking of which, I encourage everyone who stumbles across this blog to really pursue any great ideas they have, no matter how limited their resources might seem. Whether it's writing a zine or book, opening a venue, throwing an event or show, starting a club, or creating some form of art or other media, it can be done! Gather your resources, find help from friends, and don't give up! Through hard work and a lot of DIY mentality, anything can be done.
Me and my strange virus are off to work on that documentary now. Good night, all.
SXR
No comments:
Post a Comment